Equilibrium Point (Part 2)

También disponible en español También disponible en español

What follows is the process by which I regained my personal equilibrium point:

STEP 1: Get Convinced
Your purpose in life will not be complete if you do not take care of your body. Your race of faith requires that you preserve your body in the best condition possible, so that not only you are able to run your best race, but so that you can encourage the progress of others. Philippians 1:24-25 says: “It is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith.”

Strange as it may sound, the concept of entropy helped me understand my condition and motivated me to take action. No change happens effortlessly. I could not pretend that what took years to decline, I could fix overnight. Those infomercials that promise you to get back in shape “without diets, without exercise, without effort” break the second law of thermodynamics and are physically impossible.


STEP 2: Get Rested
Your purpose in life will not come to full realization if you are tired all the time. I did not see the connection between resting and running the race of faith until I read Proverbs 3:23-24: “you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” Certainly, when you have a good night sleep, you have strong legs that keep you from stumbling, not to mention a clear mind that allows you to focus; and when you have a strong run, and a productive race day, you will have a sweet sleep, closing the cycle.
New medical studies1 have proven that sleep deprivation is related to weight gain. It took me an entire year to recover the habit of a good night sleep. Before that year, returning to regular exercise alone did not help. It was not until I started to sleep regularly and soundly when I started to see some improvement.


STEP 3: Get Organized
Your purpose in life will not become true if you do not make good use of your time. I had to overcome the common excuse of the lazy person: “I don’t have time.” I discovered that we have time for most things we set our minds to; we just need to organize our priorities. Here is a principle to organizing your priorities: “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over will be poured into your lap” (NIV: Luke 6:38).

Sometimes we are so cheap with ourselves. When I started to give time to my body in an exercise program I started to feel more energized for the rest of my daily activities. When I started to make a pause to eat by a schedule, hungry or not, I started to feel more satisfied and control my appetite. When I spent more time for prayer, I could accomplish more in the same amount of time.


STEP 4: Get Nourished
Your purpose in life will get affected if do not feed on the right things. I like to complete Deuteronomy 8:3 this way: “Man does not live on bread alone…” but also on water, greens, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, dairy, and other good sources of protein. Eat lots of these and split them in five to six small portions throughout the day. Never be hungry. If you hunger, it is already too late.2
The passage goes on to say “…but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.” Do not forget to nourish your relationship with God. Feed on faith, hope, love, grace, and justice. Feed also on the support that others provide during your journey.

STEP 5: Get Moving
Your purpose in life will not roll if you do not start rolling. Start an exercise program and stick to it long enough so that you can learn it well. You can start by walking, for example, then you can alternate walking and running in intervals of 3:1 minutes, then increase the running time until you can run continuously for a couple of miles before increasing the mileage progressively.

Remember that physical exercise does not do it by itself. This is why I list five steps that relate to the spirit, the mind, and the body. NLT: 1 Timothy 4:8 declares: “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”


It has been a couple of years now since I started. In the process I lost 67 pounds, going from size 40 to size 31. I ran two competitive races this year; have not used allergy medication for the past two years and have not had an asthma episode since; and maintained my back pain well under control. I also started this blog with my friend and running partner.


[1] View for example an article published by USA Today entitled “Sleep loss may equal weight gain,” published 12/6/2004.

[2]
If you would like to receive additional information about a nutrition and exercise program that could change your life around, please do not hesitate to contact us.





Vladimir Lugo
vlugo@race-of-faith.com

0 comments:





Bookmark and Share