Equilibrium Point (Part 1)

También disponible en español También disponible en español

We tend to take our bodies for granted. We neglect them. We abuse them. We starve them from proper nutrition. We deny them their right to rest. We force them into the unhealthy stress of our hectic routines. By so doing, we create unbalances within, many of which, we are not even aware of. Yet we act surprised when diseases hit us, when we finally notice those extra pounds on the scale, or when we are left without breath going upstairs twenty steps.

The same way our bodies deteriorate without proper care, they also become stronger, fitter, leaner, and more relaxed, whenever we learn the right choices – and make them – about how we deal with daily activity and rest, how often and what we eat, and how often and how we exercise.

I know this from my personal experience. I ate fat loaded fast foods and carb loaded sweets, stressed out while attending graduate school, worked two part-time jobs, and looked after my family. I slept every other night, and moved exercise to the last place in my priority list. I was headed to a guaranteed break down.

Still my body was strong and was keeping up with my wrong decisions. I do not even want to think about what could have happened otherwise. In the process, though, I gained 62 pounds. Constant back pain, continuous allergies throughout the year, and common asthma episodes became my normal state of being. I was totally out of control. Something had got to change; the problem was, I did not know where to start.

The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy never decreases. In other words, the measure of disorder in a system tends to spontaneously and indefinitely increase. The only way a system is maintained in a desirable state of equilibrium is by pouring enough energy into it, and the only way a system can improve, is by investing yet more energy, otherwise the system will worsen until it collapses. For example, a car moves by burning gas, but if you want it to go faster and further, it needs more gas; if you do not fill the tank, it will eventually stop; if you fill the tank with the wrong fuel, the engine will crack.

Our bodies are thermodynamically designed machines. Therefore, the only way you can turn your life around and regain self-control is by applying enough energy, which implies willpower, dedication, commitment, perseverance, discipline, and many repetitions of the steps I list in the second part of this article.

For now, let me finish with these closing thoughts:

  1. You need to seek that your efforts work permanent changes in your lifestyle. By doing so, you are ensuring that you keep your balance regardless of the circumstances around you.
  2. You need to overcome guilt. Repeat to yourself, “Guilt is past.” When you fail if following your plan, shake the dust of guilt off your shoulders and start anew. It is worth it and you will see it works.

“By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward… I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back”
(Message: Philippians 3:13-14)






Vladimir Lugo
vlugo@race-of-faith.com

0 comments:





Bookmark and Share