Running, Racing, and Rituals (Part 1)

También disponible en español También disponible en español

It was a cold morning in Southern California. Perhaps a morning like any other in the beginning of the fall season, foggy, overcast, humid; nothing extraordinary about it, really, except for the fact that I was meeting with a group of other runners for the first time to take the longest run of my life. Two miles! Two miles that marked the beginning of my running season. We gathered together at a local park; stretched; warmed up; walked. Then we ran. The company of others made it go by quickly, actually, and back at the park, we stretched some more; ate a snack, and went home.

Running is personal, racing is corporate, and rituals are institutional.This routine, adjusting the distance week after week, we were to perform for several months in preparation for our competitive race. It was through the succession of our training cycle that I started to reflect about my topic for this week. Is there really a connection between running, racing, rituals, and religion? If so, what can that connection teach us about our spiritual lives?

This three part article briefly explores the relationship between running, racing, and rituals and living a spiritual life. Let's start with a word about running.

Running

Running is personal. Believe it or not, every healthy person has the required resources and skills needed for running. If you can walk, you can run. Running is cheap in this sense: you do not need to spend a lot of money acquiring these resources and skills, because you already have them. There are no excuses to start running, except for the self-imposed; just get your legs moving and hit the road. Running is also personal in the sense that it allows you to discover your own capabilities. I did not know I could run until I started to run. I did not know I could run faster, longer, and more frequently until I made it my goal. I did not know I could break my personal records of pace, speed, and distance until I started to push myself.

Running brings a deep sense of spiritual awareness. God has provided you with everything you need to run your own race of faith. Your capacity for finding meaning in life, trusting, and passing on what you believe has been freely given by the grace of God. There are no excuses to run your best race of faith, except for the self-imposed. As you look for your purpose in life, trust God and those around you, and share your faith, you will discover your own spiritual gifts and areas of service, learning soon that you can be a difference in the world as you work out your faith.

[Part 2] [Part 3]



0 comments:





Bookmark and Share